Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
TK TK is offline

Default sorting

I have created a chart in order to track individual results of a few teams.
This chart lists two different types of numberical goals and then their
actual result. I have already created a formula to display the difference
between their goal and actual result. Because I have this chart set up
listing names in a specific order, I dont want to sort ascending or
descending to visually show the ranking order. Is there a way to add another
column that would auto fill in a nbr listing their ranking order? For
example, by Tim's name, he would have a 1 because he had the largest
difference between his goal and actual result.
If not, do you have any suggestions on a different approach?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Check out the Large function.
=Large(Rng,1) returns the largest value

You could use Row(A1) instead of 1, and fill down to get these values descending, or with an Offset formula return the players
names.
Small(Rng,1) does the reverse.

Regards
Robert McCurdy

"TK" wrote in message ...
I have created a chart in order to track individual results of a few teams.
This chart lists two different types of numberical goals and then their
actual result. I have already created a formula to display the difference
between their goal and actual result. Because I have this chart set up
listing names in a specific order, I dont want to sort ascending or
descending to visually show the ranking order. Is there a way to add another
column that would auto fill in a nbr listing their ranking order? For
example, by Tim's name, he would have a 1 because he had the largest
difference between his goal and actual result.
If not, do you have any suggestions on a different approach?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You might consider using a pivot table and just sort by the "score".

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond