Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default String converted to date

I have the string '1/1/05 in cell A1. When I execute the following code:

Range("A2").Value = Range("A1").Value

VBA converts the string to a date (i.e., number), which is not what I want.

I've tried

Range("A2").Value = Cstr(Range("A1").Value)

and even passing the value through a string variable, but the result is the
same. If the string is _1/1/05, then there is no problem. Ideally, I'd like
the contents of A1 to be a date and have it converted to a string when placed
in A2, but that seems too much to ask if I can't even copy a string from A1
to A2. Help appreciated.

Using Excel 97

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tony

try:

Range("A2").Text = Range("A1").Text

Regards

Trevor

"Tony" wrote in message
I have the string '1/1/05 in cell A1. When I execute the following code:

Range("A2").Value = Range("A1").Value

VBA converts the string to a date (i.e., number), which is not what I
want.

I've tried

Range("A2").Value = Cstr(Range("A1").Value)

and even passing the value through a string variable, but the result is
the
same. If the string is _1/1/05, then there is no problem. Ideally, I'd
like
the contents of A1 to be a date and have it converted to a string when
placed
in A2, but that seems too much to ask if I can't even copy a string from
A1
to A2. Help appreciated.

Using Excel 97

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I get a runtime error with the below: "Object Required". Am using Excel
2000.

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote in message
Tony

try:

Range("A2").Text = Range("A1").Text

Regards

Trevor

"Tony" wrote in message
I have the string '1/1/05 in cell A1. When I execute the following code:

Range("A2").Value = Range("A1").Value

VBA converts the string to a date (i.e., number), which is not what I
want.

I've tried

Range("A2").Value = Cstr(Range("A1").Value)

and even passing the value through a string variable, but the result is
the
same. If the string is _1/1/05, then there is no problem. Ideally, I'd
like
the contents of A1 to be a date and have it converted to a string when
placed
in A2, but that seems too much to ask if I can't even copy a string from
A1
to A2. Help appreciated.

Using Excel 97

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Text property is read-only, so you have to use the Value
property. E.g.,

Range("A2").Value = Range("A1").Text

Admittedly, the error message is less than clear.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:42:24 -0500, "Chip Pearson" wrote:

The Text property is read-only, so you have to use the Value
property. E.g.,

Range("A2").Value = Range("A1").Text

Admittedly, the error message is less than clear.

I cannot get that to work if A2 is formatted as General.

If I format it as text, then that works, as does this:

===============
Sub foo()
With Range("A2")
.NumberFormat = "@"
.Value = Range("A1").Value
End With
End Sub
==============

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:39:42 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:42:24 -0500, "Chip Pearson" wrote:

The Text property is read-only, so you have to use the Value
property. E.g.,

Range("A2").Value = Range("A1").Text

Admittedly, the error message is less than clear.

I cannot get that to work if A2 is formatted as General.

If I format it as text, then that works, as does this:

===============
Sub foo()
With Range("A2")
.NumberFormat = "@"
.Value = Range("A1").Value
End With
End Sub

--ron

By "not work" I mean that the value stored in A2 ([a1].text) gets converted to
a date, if A2 is formatted as General.

--ron