Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default group data

How can I group data? example:

instead of seeing

BMW
Lexus
BMW
Lexus

I want
BMW
cars sold
when sold
who bought

Lexus
Cars sold
when sold
who bought.

is something possible to do when creating a spreadsheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Depending on how your data looks I would highly recommend a pivot table. Once
you get the hang of them they are fast, easy and very powerful at pulling
together a lot of data into useful information in a really big hurry.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"microsoft.news.com" wrote:

How can I group data? example:

instead of seeing

BMW
BMW
Lexus
BMW
Lexus

I want
BMW
cars sold
when sold
who bought

Lexus
Cars sold
when sold
who bought.

is something possible to do when creating a spreadsheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the big issue is that i'm generating the excel spreadsheet on the fly using
C#, and i'm passing all the data in to the spreadsheet which works, but now
i have to group the as I listed before and I'm not sure how to do that or if
it can even be done

"microsoft.news.com" wrote:

How can I group data? example:

instead of seeing

BMW
BMW
Lexus
BMW
Lexus

I want
BMW
cars sold
when sold
who bought

Lexus
Cars sold
when sold
who bought.

is something possible to do when creating a spreadsheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

A bad idea! It'll be very difficcult to refer to such table, when you want
to do some calculations.
My advice is to use the table design

Date, Car, Quantity, Client, Price

With such design (practically you'll have a little database), when you swith
autofilter on, you can easily get sold cars by type or by date or by client.
Having some additional rows in top of table, and SUBTOTAL functions on some
cells there, yo can have quantity and/or value of filtered cars displayed.
Additionally you can have some columns, where some generalized values, like
month of sell date in format "yyyy.mm", are calculated by formulas - it
allows you to filter out p.e. all BMW's sold in march 2005, and of course
you'll get the number of sold cars and their value too. Etc.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvil<attarkon.ee )

"microsoft.news.com" <CSharpCoder wrote in message
How can I group data? example:

instead of seeing

BMW
BMW
Lexus
BMW
Lexus

I want
BMW
cars sold
when sold
who bought

Lexus
Cars sold
when sold
who bought.

is something possible to do when creating a spreadsheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm doing one calculation and i'm doing that in the code and passing the
value into excel.
so there is really no way to do this when populating an excel doc on the fly
like this?
could i create a template and do it that way or is this totally not possible
with the way i'm creating the spreadsheet?