Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default STARTUP

I am intrested in learning the following:

When a person clicks to open an excel file I would like for that person to
be able to select their name from a list and have that name entered
automatically onto the worksheet that is opening.

I am a pretty much a novice at this.
THANKS guys for your help!
Glenn
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This can be done without programming.
In Cell A1 create a DataValidation List with all the names. Then after the
workbook opens the user selects his/her name from that list.
If you want to force the user to provide a response then you have to use a
form and a list box.

Alok Joshi

"Glenn" wrote:

I am intrested in learning the following:

When a person clicks to open an excel file I would like for that person to
be able to select their name from a list and have that name entered
automatically onto the worksheet that is opening.

I am a pretty much a novice at this.
THANKS guys for your help!
Glenn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As I said, if that is the requirement you have to use a UserForm1. I will
breifly outline what you have to do. You will have to fill in the details and
if all this sound foreign - you have to read a good book on programming Excel.

1. Add a User Form to the project.
2. Add a List box, an OK and a Cancel button to the Form.
3. In the form Initialize event populate the list box with the names.
4. In the OK button's click event make sure that the user has selected a
name in the list box, save the list box value to a cell and unload the form.
If a value has not been selected in the List box then close the workbook
programatically.
5. If the Cancel button's click event close the workbook as well.

Alok Joshi