Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Best way to set up worksheets

I've already gotten a lot of help here with creating this series of
worksheets that will soon be distributed to some "unsophisticated"
end-users. Some of the setting up I'm doing in these sheets involves
macros that determine where the filter range is on each sheet (topic of
other threads here) and does a few other things to some of the
worksheets. I'm wondering if those of you with more experience with
slightly more complex sheets like these being distributed to those
"unsophisticated" end-users can give me some direction. Should I just
run the macro that sets up the sheets before I send the protected
worksheets out, and hope no one finds a way to mess them up, or should
I build the set-up macro into the sheet so it runs when the sheet is
opened, resetting the filter range each time in case it somehow
changes? My inclination is to go with the KISS principle, and keep the
macro here, not in the sent-out version. But I'm open to differing
ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can always trust end users to foul up anything you create. For all of
your best intentions they will break it and then you will be left debugging
it. If you can get away with something that they do not have to interact
with, that would definitly be my preference. I also firmly believe that there
are always two choices. You can make 1000 users smarter or a simpler program.
Whichever is easier. I personally have never had much luck makeing people
smarter.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"davegb" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Back in a former life, when I was an engineer, we had a saying that,
"It's hard to make things foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!".