Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2003 graphics are invisible after loading xla

I have a strange and very awkward problem with Excel 2003:

1) Start Excel 2003, but don't open any workbooks
2) Use a menu to load an xla that we have written
3) Open a workbook containing graphics - but they don't show. To make
them show you need to reset one of the lines to be visible, then all
the graphics suddenly show.

At the moment, the only work-around I can find is as follows:
1) Start Excel 2003 and open a workbook containing a graphic (anything
drawn using Excel shapes).
2) Carry on as above - but now you find that everything works fine!

Our xla definitely does NOT do anything directly to the Excel
graphics. In fact, execution very quickly drops into a DLL which
doesn't even have a referance to the Excel object library.

The problem seems to be connected with opening databases using DAO
3.6.
Our DLL opens several databases upon start-up. If I skip some of these
it works OK. If I open these but skip some of the others it works OK.
If I open all of them it fails.

The problem does not happen in Excel 2000. I haven't tested Excel
2002.

One solution I have tried (in desperation) is to open a workbook
automatically when loading the xla. The problem with this is that
Excel is no longer in its uninitialised state. This means that
calculation settings have already been fixed, rather than coming from
the first workbook that the user opens. It may also cause other
problems I don't know about.

Please help! Any ideas are appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

are you sure that your xla (re)sets application.screenupdating= True
when it exits?

if graphics in excel give problems check the temp directory
that should be practically empty and defintely NOT contain thousands of
files.

i dont understand... "one of the lines to be visible"
does that mean you've set the rowheight of ALL rows to 0?

--
keepITcool

wrote :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My xla doesn't do anything with grapics, and doesn't change the value
of application.screenupdating - that's the wierd thing.

When I said "reset one of the lines to be visible" I mean that the
missing graphics objects are still there and can be selected but they
are loading up as "invisible". If I then select any one of them and
reset the visibility of it (using the Format menu) the whole set then
appears.

Wierd or what?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

mail me the addin and I'll have a look to see if
I can replicate and find a solution.

my email(sender) uses rot13 else add @ and . to email below

--
keepITcool

wrote :

My xla doesn't do anything with grapics, and doesn't change the value
of application.screenupdating - that's the wierd thing.

When I said "reset one of the lines to be visible" I mean that the
missing graphics objects are still there and can be selected but they
are loading up as "invisible". If I then select any one of them and
reset the visibility of it (using the Format menu) the whole set then
appears.

Wierd or what?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's not that simple I'm afraid.

It uses a sizable DLL and is part of a larger system.

Many thanks for the offer though...