Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to diasble the 'Tools - Options - View - Comments' options?

Hi All,

I would like to disable the option for a user to show comment
indicators. Effectively, I want to lock the option to 'None'.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Alan.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
Possible, but is it wise? Why not simply protect the sheet and the
objects on it so that comments cannot be deleted. Users will quickly
bore of looking at what is inside them.
Removing functionality WILL annoy them though, and dealing with the
situations where you want to switch that functionality on and off is
more trouble than it is worth e.g your user might need comment viewing
on for other sheets in the workbook, so you will need a class
application event to decide which sheets allow comment viewing and
which not. Your user will certainly want comment viewing on for other
workbooks open at the same time, so you will have to deal with that.
You will also want comment viewing back on when your workbook is closed
but Excel is still open..

regards
Paul

Alan wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to disable the option for a user to show comment
indicators. Effectively, I want to lock the option to 'None'.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Alan.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi
Possible, but is it wise?

Covered below, but if it is possible, please could you post back with
*how* to do it?

Why not simply protect the sheet and the
objects on it so that comments cannot be deleted.

Users make changes to all the data on the sheet. The comments are
used to store an audit trail, so we need the worksheet open for
changes, but just the comments protected as solidly as possible.

Users will quickly
bore of looking at what is inside them.

They can see what is inside them using an option on the cells
toolbar that runs a code snippet to present the audit trail (stored
in the comment) in a user-friendly format - it is just the integrity
of the contents that I need to protect.

Removing functionality WILL annoy them though, and dealing with the
situations where you want to switch that functionality on and off is
more trouble than it is worth e.g your user might need comment
viewing on for other sheets in the workbook, so you will need a
class application event to decide which sheets allow comment
viewing and which not.

There are no other sheets in the workbook where comments are required
so that is not an issue in this specific situation. If it was, I
guess I would use the worksheet activate event to toggle the comment
mode, but that is a non issue in this workbook.

Your user will certainly want comment viewing on for other
workbooks open at the same time, so you will have to deal with that.

This workbook is opening from a small VBA app and it ensures that a
different instance of excel is used, so there is no issue there.

You will also want comment viewing back on when your workbook is
closed but Excel is still open..

Same applies - the only workbook open in that instance of excel is the
one I am working on, so when it closes, so does the instance of excel.

regards
Paul

I do appreciate your comments - they are all potential issues that
needed to be thought through, but I think we have that covered.

It is just the technical mechanics of how to do it that we need now.

Thanks,

Alan.