Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default MATCH output error #N/A

Using Excel 2002. I am trying to use MATCH statement:
=MATCH(1,($A$1:$I$1=2003)*($A$2:$I$2="Clm"),0)

Row 1 has years (more than one of each), and Row 2 is one of three headings,
like this:
A B C D E F
G H I
Row 1: 2001 2001 2001 2002 2002 2002 2003 2003 2003
Row 2: Pm Clm O/S Pm Clm O/S Pm Clm
O/S

When I click the fx button to the left of the formula bar, the expression is
correctly evaluated to give the output 8, but in the cell the output is
instead #N/A.

Hopefully my reasoning for using the expression is clear, but to explain, it
is in order to pick out the column for a particular year and type of data
(Pm, Clm or O/S). Any suggestions on how to get Excel to output the answer it
knows but won't display would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rich,

That is an array formula, so enter it using Ctrl-Shift-Enter instead of just
enter.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"RichH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Okay, think I've established that the problem was that I didn't enter it using

CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

What a strange and obscure reason - Excel help gave no hint whatsoever to
that being a possible solution...