Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Importing XML into Excel 2000 without writing code

Is this supported 'out of the box' by Excel 2000 or is a third party product
required?

If a third party product is required, what are some available products?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jjmmbb,

Is this supported 'out of the box' by Excel 2000 or is a third party product
required?

If a third party product is required, what are some available products?

No, it's not supported out of the box, and I don't know of any third party
products. I think you're only option is to use something like the MSXML object
library to open the XML, parse it and write it to the cells. That's the
approach we decided to take in our example in Chapter 23 of Professional Excel
Development.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Professional Excel Development
The most advanced Excel VBA book available
www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Roedd <<Stephen Bullen wedi ysgrifennu:

No, it's not supported out of the box, and I don't know of any third
party products. I think you're only option is to use something like
the MSXML object library to open the XML, parse it and write it to
the cells. That's the approach we decided to take in our example in
Chapter 23 of Professional Excel Development.

Another possible alternative would be to write some XSLT code to transform
the XML into tabular format which would then import much more smoothly into
Excel. The MSXML library allows these transformations to be applied.

Neither of these alternatives, of course, meet the requirement "without
writing code", though I think it's more likely that the XSLT code could be
generated by a third party tool as long as it's not too complex a
transformation. XML Spy http://www.xmlspy.com/ supports this, I think.

Good book, BTW, Stephen (and John and Rob).

--
Rob

http://www.asta51.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/

This message is copyright Robert Bruce and intended
for distribution only via NNTP.
Dissemination via third party Web forums with the
exception of Google Groups and Microsoft Communities
is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

Good book, BTW, Stephen (and John and Rob).

Thanks!

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel