Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Trying to develop a shipping calculator to compare courier rates

I'm trying to develop a shipping calculator to compare courier rates. Using
shipping rates given to you from different couriers (user enters rates) ,
excelsheet will calculate best rate for a given weight,destination and origin.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could have the various tables with lookup and then cull out the best
one. A formula or macro could do this.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Crys" wrote in message
I'm trying to develop a shipping calculator to compare courier rates.

Using
shipping rates given to you from different couriers (user enters rates) ,
excelsheet will calculate best rate for a given weight,destination and

origin.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Trying to develop a shipping calculator to compare courier rat

Sorry my excel is very rusty. What do you mean by l"with lookup"? I'm
imagining trying to make several tables, one for each courier company,
calculating cost based on rate sheets they give me. I'm imagining the 1st
sheet would be where I would enter my shipping item information, with a
summary of prices (calculated on courier sheets).

Do you know if anything like this already exists?

Of course one of the problems I'm facing is couriers like to make comparing
prices very difficult. No one calculates their rates the same as anyone
else. Some include flat rates, some are variable. Some include fuel
surchages, some have surchages as extra. Some calculate distance based on Kms
or miles, some have flat rates between different zones. Some have base
charges... I can tell you I'm getting very confused! LOL

"Crys" wrote in message
I'm trying to develop a shipping calculator to compare courier rates.

Using
shipping rates given to you from different couriers (user enters rates) ,
excelsheet will calculate best rate for a given weight,destination and

origin.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You mean the user has to enter in rate tables for each carrier at the
resolution of weight, destination, and origin. (and possibly number of
items).

I suspect the user would prefer to call the carrier and ask them to quote a
rate, then select the lowest or if they have that information, just run
their finger down the paper table and figure out which is cheapest.
Usually the selling point of this type of thing is that it includes the
tabular data.

Tom Ogilvy

"Crys" wrote in message
I'm trying to develop a shipping calculator to compare courier rates.

Using
shipping rates given to you from different couriers (user enters rates) ,
excelsheet will calculate best rate for a given weight,destination and

origin.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Instead of a question it sounds like an involved project which is what a lot
of us do for a living.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software