Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Why do identical formulas sometimes act differently?

Hi,
I can't offer an aswer without seeing the formulae (although I would
double check cell references - relative/absolute) but is not possible to
use LARGE to find the top five values? Or I have misunderstood what you are
doing?

"Scarlett O" wrote:

I applied identical nested formulas to different areas of the same worksheet
but I didn't get identical results. Why? I used RANK on data in cell range
K5:K54 asking for results in M5:M54. Then I used IF, COUNTIF and MATCH
functions in subsequent formulas to return results from M5:M54,L5:L54
(column M showed the ranks and column L showed the items) in Q5:Q9 showing
the top five ranking items. This worked well. But when I used identical
formulas on the same worksheet just changing the column identifiers, it only
returned the ranks instead of the items. In the 2nd instance, I replaced K
with AA showing results in AC instead of M. This returned correct results.
But when I replaced M with AC and L with AB, returning results in Q15:Q19, it
only showed the rank without the item. Also in the 2nd instance, it showed no
number 1 rank but showed the number 2 rank twice and then completed ranks 3,
4 and 5. Any ideas why this happened?