Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Programming in VBA, use XLS or XLA as source??

When I first started using Exel VBA, XLAs could not be edited.

You needed the xls source, and then would save to xla, really like a
psuedo-compile.

I have just returned to the game and it appears you can now edit xla files.

SO: Is there any reason not just to work in the xla??? I am still using the
old process working in the xls source. What are the pros and cons of doing
this?

Thanks
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rich,

I used to do what you do, convincing myself that it was the 'proper' way,
more secure, blah, blah, blah.

I don't bother now, there is no difference that I can see, apart from the
fact that you don't get prompted to save your changes, you need to remember
to do this in the VBE yourself. I'll take that hit for the gains.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Rich" wrote in message
When I first started using Exel VBA, XLAs could not be edited.

You needed the xls source, and then would save to xla, really like a
psuedo-compile.

I have just returned to the game and it appears you can now edit xla

files.

SO: Is there any reason not just to work in the xla??? I am still using

the
old process working in the xls source. What are the pros and cons of

doing
this?

Thanks
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you just want to package your code as a separate workbook and use
worksheets from a different workbook, then xla's fill the bill. If you want
to work on worksheets in the workbook with the code, then an xla would not
support that directly. Events would be an example, although you could
instantiate application level events in the xla.

Tom Ogilvy