Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
tom tom is offline

Default save as different filename

I have a master spreadsheet that I do not want users to overwrite. Is there
a way to force users the save the spreadsheet using a different filename?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Put it on a drive/folder that the users can't write to (may take some effort
from your IT folks).

Or (Not foolproof)...Mark the file as ReadOnly (using windows explorer). But
anyone could be able to change the attributes back if they have permissions.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
tom tom is offline

the file will be posted on site for users to download. So I was looking for
a way (possibly using vb) to prevent users from saving the file under the
same name once they download it. Putting it in directory the users can't
write to is not feasible because I can't control where they download the file
to. Also the second option is not foolproof enough. Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom wrote:

I have a master spreadsheet that I do not want users to overwrite. Is there
a way to force users the save the spreadsheet using a different filename?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't think that there is anything better than marking the file readonly (and
keeping a backup to reload the file when someone finds a way around the readonly
attribute).

Tom wrote:

I have a master spreadsheet that I do not want users to overwrite. Is there
a way to force users the save the spreadsheet using a different filename?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Cell("filename") doesn't update to new filename when do save as. Louis Excel Worksheet Functions 2 March 22nd 07 07:27 PM
Save as .htm with filename from cell galimi Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 May 13th 05 04:51 AM
Save Filename Peter Excel Programming 3 February 4th 05 01:15 PM
save as filename Geo Siggy[_14_] Excel Programming 3 April 6th 04 01:26 PM
Save date in filename Mike Excel Programming 6 February 24th 04 02:12 PM