Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Deleting non numeric characters.

Is there away while using a template that I could override the update prompt
and replace it with code that would allow me to check the incoming data for
nonumeric characters before an update is attempted.

I tried getting an answer 4/27 Check File Before Updating Template.

Soiuld I be getiing advice from Mainframe users and not this site?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Cyndy,

<<Is there away while using a template that I could override the update
prompt...
I assume that this means that you have "Ask to update automatic links"
checked on the Edit tab of the Tools|Options dialog box and that you are
using links from the template to the PickList.XLS file.

I have couple of questions about your application:
1. Are you saving the template as an Excel workbook (*.XLS) after each
update? Is each update supposed to be a static copy (snapshot) of the data
at that point in time?
2. If you are saving the template as a template file (Compare.XLT) each
time, then why not just use a regular workbook file (*.XLS)?

It sounds to me like the number of serial numbers in the PickList file does
not always match the number of lines of data in your template. You might
need to develop an add-in that has a macro(s) to check the contents in the
PickList.XLS file first, then copy the data into the Compare workbook, then
prompt the user for a filename to save the resulting workbook to (like
"Compare mm-dd-yy.XLS").

This is definitely the newsgroup to answer Excel programming questions.
(Although it is generally assumed that you already have some code that you
need help with.)
Bill

"CyndyG" wrote in message
Is there away while using a template that I could override the update

prompt
and replace it with code that would allow me to check the incoming data

for
nonumeric characters before an update is attempted.

I tried getting an answer 4/27 Check File Before Updating Template.

Soiuld I be getiing advice from Mainframe users and not this site?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My data ius coming from a mainframe file. I need to remove the end of file
character in the picklist.xls file before I open my template file which has
other specific code it in for a scanning process. The template file is then
saved as an .xls for for the date scanning was done.

The .xlt file is updated with the information that was downloaded to the
picklist file.
Yes, they are linked.

The end of file character will always be at the end of the data.
I have code to open and update the .xlt file. just can't get rid of
character 127 which is the end of file character.

Hi Cyndy,