Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default shopping cart like application help please

I have a spreadsheet that is used reference, price, and part number
identification. It is a 51 sheet spreadsheet full of smarts, hyperlinks,
formulas etc. After updating my pricing through and export from my
accounting system, I creat a version that just has the hyperlinks, pricing
(not based on formulas anymore). What I want to do is a create a simple way
for customers to order the parts once they find them. Like an add to cart
button. I could have a blank sheet for entering order information, or
however is the best way. Security is not an issue as i do not plan to have
this submitted online, maybe print out a sheet, or email the sheet with the
items on the order.

The data could be copied by copying the entire row, or just certain cells,
whatever works better.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
Can you give some idea of how the data is organised?

Your note suggests you already have logic to find a part(s) - and presumably
description, price etc - which you want to copy/insert into (pre-formatted?)
sheet.

So I am not sure where the difficulty lies - is it selecting and/or copying
the data?

Are you using (or planning to use) userforms to enter/select data?

"Roundy" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that is used reference, price, and part number
identification. It is a 51 sheet spreadsheet full of smarts, hyperlinks,
formulas etc. After updating my pricing through and export from my
accounting system, I creat a version that just has the hyperlinks, pricing
(not based on formulas anymore). What I want to do is a create a simple way
for customers to order the parts once they find them. Like an add to cart
button. I could have a blank sheet for entering order information, or
however is the best way. Security is not an issue as i do not plan to have
this submitted online, maybe print out a sheet, or email the sheet with the
items on the order.

The data could be copied by copying the entire row, or just certain cells,
whatever works better.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Once I ship the spreadsheet, that is when I want to have the shopping cart.
At that point, there is no intelligence to the spreasheet except hyperlinks
and bookmarks.
The data is layed out as follows
part number
description (maybe is a hyperlink to a PDF file)
Sell Price
End user price
comments

There are a few sheets with smaller parts that are not layed out as neatly.
For parts with the same description, but multiple sizes like 2" 3" etc. it is
layed out
part description
sell price
end user price
part number
sell price
end user price
part number

The difficulty for me is to know how to put a button or checkbox or
something that triggers a part to be copied and pasted into a "blank" order
sheet. I really don't care too much about formatting as long as I can add
the prices up, have a part number, and a description.
One area specifically I am worried about is how to know where to paste it
into the order sheet. It seems that would have to depend on how many parts
are in the order. Or maybe i could do an insert copied cells???

The other thing is how to trigger the put in "basket" event. Button, just
havea quantity field??

"Roundy" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that is used reference, price, and part number
identification. It is a 51 sheet spreadsheet full of smarts, hyperlinks,
formulas etc. After updating my pricing through and export from my
accounting system, I creat a version that just has the hyperlinks, pricing
(not based on formulas anymore). What I want to do is a create a simple way
for customers to order the parts once they find them. Like an add to cart
button. I could have a blank sheet for entering order information, or
however is the best way. Security is not an issue as i do not plan to have
this submitted online, maybe print out a sheet, or email the sheet with the
items on the order.

The data could be copied by copying the entire row, or just certain cells,
whatever works better.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi again.
this seems very complex, espacially using links top PDF files
to get data e.g. description. See my comments (marked ***) in your reply.

And if the number of parts( Part numbers) is very large, then that does not
lend itself to using a combobox to select a part. The user might have to type
in part number, we then lookup (e.g. via VLOOKUP) to get other information.
As you suggest, selection of quantity could trigger the addition to an order;
or use a seperate "add to cart" button.

I see the main issues as :

(1) Selecting a part
(2) the data organisation as there appears to be two distinct formats for
holding the data.

Any chance of supplying a sample workbook to look at as I can't get me head
round this!

"Roundy" wrote:

Once I ship the spreadsheet, that is when I want to have the shopping cart.
At that point, there is no intelligence to the spreasheet except hyperlinks
and bookmarks.
The data is layed out as follows

**** Columns or Rows
part number e.g Column A
description (maybe is a hyperlink to a PDF file) e.g Column B
Sell Price
End user price
comments

There are a few sheets with smaller parts that are not layed out as neatly.
For parts with the same description, but multiple sizes like 2" 3" etc. it is
layed out

**** Rows ? Row
part description 1
sell price 2
end user price 3
part number 4
sell price 5

"Roundy" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that is used reference, price, and part number
identification. It is a 51 sheet spreadsheet full of smarts, hyperlinks,
formulas etc. After updating my pricing through and export from my
accounting system, I creat a version that just has the hyperlinks, pricing
(not based on formulas anymore). What I want to do is a create a simple way
for customers to order the parts once they find them. Like an add to cart
button. I could have a blank sheet for entering order information, or
however is the best way. Security is not an issue as i do not plan to have
this submitted online, maybe print out a sheet, or email the sheet with the
items on the order.

The data could be copied by copying the entire row, or just certain cells,
whatever works better.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The data is all organized in columns. On most sheets it is just one part
number per row, but on the second example there are multiple partnumbers per
row. In other words description part number price, description part number
price description part number price.

I can get you a copy of the spreadsheet, but without prices. It will also
have to be a release version of the sheet... in other words none of our costs
would be there. But that should help you see what we are dealing with. Let
me know how to get that to you.

I am thinking the idea of having a sheet with all part numbers, prices and
descriptions in a predefined format could be a winner. Then is all we would
have to do is paste the part number into the lookup value cell and the
spreadsheet would do the rest. I would like a less invasive method, but will
understand if that is not the way that it works.

"Roundy" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that is used reference, price, and part number
identification. It is a 51 sheet spreadsheet full of smarts, hyperlinks,
formulas etc. After updating my pricing through and export from my
accounting system, I creat a version that just has the hyperlinks, pricing
(not based on formulas anymore). What I want to do is a create a simple way
for customers to order the parts once they find them. Like an add to cart
button. I could have a blank sheet for entering order information, or
however is the best way. Security is not an issue as i do not plan to have
this submitted online, maybe print out a sheet, or email the sheet with the
items on the order.

The data could be copied by copying the entire row, or just certain cells,
whatever works better.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
Understand about the confidentiality of your data - I can always add
random data to simulate prices/costs.. If you want to send an example, send
to .

I understand your idea of a "pro-forma" order form - typically, how may
parts per order? And yes, if the data was organised in one format, you could
readily use lookup to retrieve the data without VBA code.

"Roundy" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that is used reference, price, and part number
identification. It is a 51 sheet spreadsheet full of smarts, hyperlinks,
formulas etc. After updating my pricing through and export from my
accounting system, I creat a version that just has the hyperlinks, pricing
(not based on formulas anymore). What I want to do is a create a simple way
for customers to order the parts once they find them. Like an add to cart
button. I could have a blank sheet for entering order information, or
however is the best way. Security is not an issue as i do not plan to have
this submitted online, maybe print out a sheet, or email the sheet with the
items on the order.

The data could be copied by copying the entire row, or just certain cells,
whatever works better.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hI TOPPERS:

I am also interested on a similar solution. Please, may you share with us
the final advice give to Roundy....

Thank you

alejandro