Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Detecting When #N/A Returned By VLOOKUP

How can I detect when VLOOKUP(_,_,_,FALSE) returns #N/A because there is
not an exact match? If I can detect it I can initiate an alternate
calculation.

I've tried =IF(VLOOKUP(_,_,_,FALSE)="#N/A", True, False) but no cigar.

Any help appreciated.

drb
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

David

The ISNA() function will trap the error for you:

= IF(ISNA(your equation), "whatever", your equation)

Steve

"David Burkhart" wrote in message
How can I detect when VLOOKUP(_,_,_,FALSE) returns #N/A because there is
not an exact match? If I can detect it I can initiate an alternate
calculation.

I've tried =IF(VLOOKUP(_,_,_,FALSE)="#N/A", True, False) but no cigar.

Any help appreciated.

drb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Steve R wrote:

David

The ISNA() function will trap the error for you:

= IF(ISNA(your equation), "whatever", your equation)

Steve

"David Burkhart" wrote in message

How can I detect when VLOOKUP(_,_,_,FALSE) returns #N/A because there is
not an exact match? If I can detect it I can initiate an alternate
calculation.

I've tried =IF(VLOOKUP(_,_,_,FALSE)="#N/A", True, False) but no cigar.

Any help appreciated.

drb

Works great, thanks for the help.

drb