Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default UserName

How can I "capture" the the name of the last user that saved a wkbk? Is there
something like capturing date/time BuiltinDocumentProperties ("Last Save
Time") for user name?
Thanks. I'm really greatful for any light you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,

Author is the creator, Last Author is the latest updater. Correctly you
surmise that it should be Last Author.

--

HTH

RP

"Myriam" wrote in message
How can I "capture" the the name of the last user that saved a wkbk?

Is
there
something like capturing date/time BuiltinDocumentProperties ("Last

Save
Time") for user name?
Thanks. I'm really greatful for any light you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That must be because you have the computer name setup as the Excel user
(ToolsOptionsGeneral).

There is an MS DLL which can access properties without opening the WB.
Haven't used it myself, but if you want to play, you can find it at
http://support.microsoft.com/s*uppor...Q224/3/51.A*SP
FILE: DSOFILE.EXE Lets You Read Document Properties w/o Office Installed

--

HTH

RP

"Myriam" wrote in message
How can I "capture" the the name of the last user that saved a wkbk?

Is
there
something like capturing date/time BuiltinDocumentProperties ("Last

Save
Time") for user name?
Thanks. I'm really greatful for any light you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you sooo much! to you both. I was going nuts! Its perfect.
Regards,

http://support.microsoft.com/sÂ*uppo...224/3/51.AÂ*SP

"Myriam" wrote in message
How can I "capture" the the name of the last user that saved a wkbk?

Is
there
something like capturing date/time BuiltinDocumentProperties ("Last

Save
Time") for user name?
Thanks. I'm really greatful for any light you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote in message
A Mistake? What is that for you... Once now... ;-)

I wish it was just once <vbg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You already have a load of info here, but I just thought I'd throw in
something I use. I added a "Before_Save" event to my files and have it write
the following to a "very hidden" sheet in the file (you could also code this
to update a remote text file for user history) [NOTE: ReturnComputerName also
returns the computer name that the user was on when they saved the file]:

Public Function ReturnUserName() As String
'RETURN THE USER NAME AS RECORDED IN [TOOLS][OPTIONS][GENERAL]
ReturnUserName = Application.UserName
End Function

OR:

Public Function ReturnNetworkName() As String
'RETURNS NETWORK LOGIN ID OF CURRENT USER
ReturnNetworkName = Environ("UserName")
End Function

AND:

Public Function ReturnComputerName() As String
'RETURNS COMPUTER NUMBER USER IS ON
ReturnComputerName = Environ("ComputerName")
End Function

HTH

"Myriam" wrote:

How can I "capture" the the name of the last user that saved a wkbk? Is there
something like capturing date/time BuiltinDocumentProperties ("Last Save
Time") for user name?
Thanks. I'm really greatful for any light you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I dont know if this helps, but...

Boolean)
MsgBox Application.UserName
Dim wsnet
Set wsnet = CreateObject("wscript.network")
MsgBox wsnet.UserName
Set wsnet = Nothing
End Sub

application.username = username listed in Excel
The other code will pull the network login name. You can save it to a
variable (i.e., varname = wsnet.username), and you could use the Now()
option to stamp the date and time. Then you could either record the
information on a worksheet or in a text file.

Brian

"Myriam" wrote in message
How can I "capture" the the name of the last user that saved a wkbk? Is

there
something like capturing date/time BuiltinDocumentProperties ("Last Save
Time") for user name?
Thanks. I'm really greatful for any light you can give me.

(username v1) JJernigan Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 June 12th 08 09:13 PM
username robzrob Excel Worksheet Functions 2 May 4th 08 05:59 PM
Username Log PaulJ Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 8 March 1st 06 11:51 AM
username libby Excel Programming 8 April 25th 04 03:37 AM
Get NT Username Steven Pugh Excel Programming 7 February 20th 04 09:37 AM