Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Complex reports

I prefer linking data where that is possible, since once set up there is no
ongoing user intervention needed (except perhaps to refresh the data).

Here is an alternative process:
1) Use MSQuery to bring the Access data into Excel
2) Use the same spreadsheet structure to create your tables and graphs
3) Link these tables and graphs from Excel into the Word files.
4) Put a Macro in Word that opens the Excel session (invisibly) and
refreshes the data in the query)

This way, all the end user needs to do is open the Word file and run a macro
- or even have the macro set to run when Word opens.

If you need more info on any of these steps, you could search the newsgroups
here or the MSDN library.

"Peter Feakins" wrote:

We have a department with some fairly complex reports that are generated
using Access, Excel and Word. Originally I'd hoped to move them to Reporting
Services, but they add analysis and commentary to the reports so they'll need
them in word or RTF format. Since they do these reports manually, they are
time intensive and subject to error. I'm trying to figure out how to automate
them.

Their current process is to run Access queries, export them manually to
Excel spreadsheets, and then cut and paste the tables and related graphs to a
report.

I've tested using automation to export the query results from Access
(CopyFromRecordset) to Excel. I'm trying to decide how to automate the
insertion of the tables and graphs to the Word document. I've set up a
tempate with bookmarks. I'm not sure if I should try exporting to these, or
try to either embed/link the spreadsheets in the template. Any
recommendations?

thanks
Peter