Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to select cell and have time or date appear?

Hi all,

Need a little 'best method' help with a phonecall log,
where ColumnA is Date, ColumnB is Time.
I wanna be able to click on B2 and have the current time inserted, then
click on B3 and have another time inserted w/o changing B2.

I've know this has been discussed before, but Im still confused if a
macro is needed in this simple case.
Can an event trigger be worked into a formula function or must it be
vba?
In a previous thread it was suggested to Insert/Name/Define a cell
range with a macro or function name. Will this then trigger a macro to
(ctrl + shift +;)or (=Now),
or do I need to use something more like the excerpt below;

( "Mike Fogleman Mar 18, 4:00 am show options

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming
From: "Mike Fogleman" - Find messages by
this author
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:00:57 -0500
Subject: Run Macro When Select Cell
| Report Abuse

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVa*l Target As Range)
If Not Application.Intersect(Range("J*1:J100"), Target) Is Nothing
Then
'Call your Macro
Else

Change the Intersect Range to whatever cell or range you want as the
trigger.
This code goes in the Worksheet Module, not a general module.

Mike F ")

thanks,

bobd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("B1:B100")) Is Nothing Then
With Target
.Value = Format(Now, "hh:mm:ss")
End With
End If

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

HTH

RP

ups.com...

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming
From: "Mike Fogleman" - Find messages by
this author
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:00:57 -0500
| Report Abuse

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVa*l Target As Range)
If Not Application.Intersect(Range("J*1:J100"), Target) Is Nothing
Then
'Call your Macro
Else

Change the Intersect Range to whatever cell or range you want as the
trigger.
This code goes in the Worksheet Module, not a general module.

Mike F ")

thanks,

bobd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thank you, works great!
Now I get it, how to trigger an event and apply a function.

thanks,
bobd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob,

Do understand that the Now function in this example is not the same as the
worksheet function NOW(). They basically do the same things, but when you
enter the latter in a worksheet, Excel will generally automatically format
it as time, but in VBA Now just returns a time serial value which you need
to format if outputting to a worksheet cell (as the code does).

This becomes more clear with today's date, the worksheet function is
TODAY(), the VBA equivalent function is Date.

As well as invoking the code in -line, you could call a macro once the
criteria are established.

--

HTH

RP

wrote in message
oups.com...
thank you, works great!
Now I get it, how to trigger an event and apply a function.

thanks,
bobd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

your points are well taken and timely.
I was just trying to add an else loop in line for Today() rather than
Date.
Still have some reading to do on your last point.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The code works great, but is this the proper way to add a second if
statement?

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("B4:B100")) Is Nothing Then
With Target
.Value = Format(Now, "hh:mm:ss")
End With
End If
If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A4:A100")) Is Nothing Then
With Target
.Value = Format(Date, "m/d/yyyy")