Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default FORMULA IN EXCEL

How do I get excel to count and sum cells that contain word variables?

Ex. If Cell A1=z and A2 =z then cell A3 would = 2 counting the number of
cellls that equal "z"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try useing COUNTA()

= COUNTA(A2:A2) will return 2

Be careful not to use the spacebar to erase values.

"BRUISER1" wrote in message
How do I get excel to count and sum cells that contain word variables?

Ex. If Cell A1=z and A2 =z then cell A3 would = 2 counting the number of
cellls that equal "z"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way:

A3: =COUNTIF(A1:A2,"z")

In article ,
"BRUISER1" wrote:

How do I get excel to count and sum cells that contain word variables?

Ex. If Cell A1=z and A2 =z then cell A3 would = 2 counting the number of
cellls that equal "z"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

sThanks big help...how would I get 2 different criteria to add?

Ex If A1=z and B2 =y then count

but if A1=z and B2=z then dont count

Only count when the both criteria is met.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

A3: =COUNTIF(A1:A2,"z")

In article ,
"BRUISER1" wrote:

How do I get excel to count and sum cells that contain word variables?

Ex. If Cell A1=z and A2 =z then cell A3 would = 2 counting the number of
cellls that equal "z"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

i think you're after the sumproduct function
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1="z"),--(B1="y"))

check out

for more details on how this function works

--
Cheers
JulieD
"BRUISER1" wrote in message
sThanks big help...how would I get 2 different criteria to add?

Ex If A1=z and B2 =y then count

but if A1=z and B2=z then dont count

Only count when the both criteria is met.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

A3: =COUNTIF(A1:A2,"z")