Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Range naming columns and rows

I have the following equation I have inherited:

=CHOOSE(project.choose,0,OFFSET(project.a.builder. equity,0,-project.start.period.assumption),OFFSET(project.B. builder.equity,0,-project.start.period.assumption),OFFSET(project.c. builder.equity,0,-project.start.period.assumption))

I believe that "project choose" is a column, as is "project assumption", "project.x.builder.equity" (for x = a,b, or c) are rows that are to be delayed, via the offset function. I can see that it works nicely and am NOT asking for help with these two functions (BTW, the offset function will not allow you to use trace dependents or precedents - EXCEL can't see through to it).

This identical equation is copied in a rectangular area and basically allows you to choose a product type in any given row and stat it and delay it based on the column values. This looks so simple that I don't dare not replicate it. But I need a little help:

Basically, I need the quickest way to do so. I used to know how to use range names for a single cell but not a row or column. I don't know the difference between define, create, apply, paste, etc. Can someone tell me how to name a row or column and then how to reference those same range names in a rectangular area?

Also, I am also having trouble figuring out the exact ranges from the names, vis-a-vis whether they start in column A, B, C or D. How can you find the entire range addressed by a range name. It seems to only give me the left hand cell, for a row.

Can someone please help?

Thank you so much!
Dean