Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default linking

It may sound stupid but I am lost.
I have a worksheet that acts as a register of assorted documents ie word,
pdf etc. All documents recieve a number from the register which is shown on
the excel workbook. I now want to create a link to the raw document which is
saved from email or raw in the same folder on the network drive.

I am having issues of the hyperlink working but then when I try it again it
seems to fall over.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have to be careful with hyperlinking to files-

"H:\SDLS Daily Errors\2005-03-04.doc"

Is OK as a filename, but

H:\SDLS Daily Errors\2005-03-25 to 28 #1.doc

Is not! XL/VBA can't handle the "#" character. Your best bet is to remove
all "unusual" characters from the filename or create a shortcut to the file
using, say "00000000.doc" and increment this for each new file, else use the
register number!

--

+--Thief_

"Mark" wrote in message
It may sound stupid but I am lost.
I have a worksheet that acts as a register of assorted documents ie word,
pdf etc. All documents recieve a number from the register which is shown

on
the excel workbook. I now want to create a link to the raw document which

is
saved from email or raw in the same folder on the network drive.

I am having issues of the hyperlink working but then when I try it again

it
seems to fall over.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thanks for the help as i was using # in the name.

I seem to still be having problems as I am wanting to get the excel to link
to a file that eventually I will be putting on cd so the drive letter etc
will change. All files etc are contained within the same folder so I want to
link internally if you like instead of going via the drive.

"Mark" wrote:

It may sound stupid but I am lost.
I have a worksheet that acts as a register of assorted documents ie word,
pdf etc. All documents recieve a number from the register which is shown on
the excel workbook. I now want to create a link to the raw document which is
saved from email or raw in the same folder on the network drive.

I am having issues of the hyperlink working but then when I try it again it
seems to fall over.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

An oft discussed topic, but not one that I have had much interest in.
Try reading through these links:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as...el.*&lr=&hl=en

the link should all be placed on one line (in notepad perhaps) and then
pasted into the navigation window of your browser.

Tom Ogilvy