Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default avoiding select

Hi,

I don't understand why pasting a link is a method of the worksheet object
instead of the rangeobject.

According to the helpfiles, the paste methode takes either of 2 parameters:
destination or link

If you use destination, pasting as link is impossible.
If you use link=true, you cannot enter a destination and the link is pasted
to a cell which you have selected previously.

Avoiding selects is a fetish of mine. What other situations require
selecting ?

thx

Ward
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Shapes such as check boxes need to be selected to be modified.

activesheet.shapes("Check Box 1").select
selection.value = xlOn

I am with you I avoid selecting like the plague.

HTH

"Ward Germonpré" wrote:

Hi,

I don't understand why pasting a link is a method of the worksheet object
instead of the rangeobject.

According to the helpfiles, the paste methode takes either of 2 parameters:
destination or link

If you use destination, pasting as link is impossible.
If you use link=true, you cannot enter a destination and the link is pasted
to a cell which you have selected previously.

Avoiding selects is a fetish of mine. What other situations require
selecting ?

thx

Ward

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This didn't work for you:

ActiveSheet.Shapes("Check Box 1").ControlFormat.Value = xlOn
or even:
ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes("Check Box 1").Value = xlOn

I like to set a variable to that object.

dim myShape as shape
set myshape = ActiveSheet.Shapes("Check Box 1")

Then put a watch on myShape.

Then I can step through the code and expand all its properties--until I find the
one I need.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I haven't done them in a long time. I use the controls off the control
toolbox now for the most part. I will have to try those out... I remember
trying to get something very siilar to that to work out but to no avail. I
was much younger then...

And you learn something new every day...

Thanks...