Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default F2....

Hi Guys,

I have a vlookup on cell A5 to give me a result.
A5 is itself a result of a copy and paste excercise
I continually get an error for the lookup on cell A5, until I edit the
cell, ie if I just press F2 (function key 2) on the cell and then
return, my lookup returns a response.
Any idea why? (its not practical to tell the user to do a F2 on every
cell where he / she gets a N/A

Thanks, appreciate it

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Darin,

Instead of doing Copy & Paste, try Copy, Paste Special and Values
Instead and see if that makes a Difference.

HTH.
All the Best.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Apparently you are trying to lookup a number. It appears that is is being
pasted as text. So the lookup fails since, for example, lookup doesn't see
"123" being equal to 123. When you edit the cell, you convert it to a
number. If paste special value doesn't work (as Paul suggested), you can
modify you lookup formula

=lookup(1*A5, . . . )

Which should work as long as the A5 entry can be interpreted as a number.

Tom Ogilvy