Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default negative numbers

I would like to know if there is a way to format a cell so that the number
entered into it always apppears as a negative number.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Winfield" wrote in message
I would like to know if there is a way to format a cell so that the number
entered into it always apppears as a negative number.

I'm not very good at this but I tried -0 as a custom format and it seems to
work. If I enter 34, it shows up as -34. Excel will still treat it as a
positive number, though. So, if 34 was entered in A1 and I enter =A1+1 in a
different cell with the same custom format, I get -35

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Problem with that format is that is also shows zero as -0, which is
nonsense, as 0 is neither positive nor negative. An alternative to show zero
as 0 would be

-0;-0;0

If you want thousand separators, use

and so on