Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CA CA is offline

Default 429 ActiveX can't create the object

All of the VB code to automate a PDF/Distiller conversion is correct
(Distiller has been referenced in the VB project), but the code after the
dimensioning of PDF distiller - the set statement returns the 429 error
message, I think that I am missing a DLL - but can't figure out which one,
would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"CA" wrote:

All of the VB code to automate a PDF/Distiller conversion is correct
(Distiller has been referenced in the VB project), but the code after the
dimensioning of PDF distiller - the set statement returns the 429 error
message, I think that I am missing a DLL - but can't figure out which one,
would appreciate your help.

I assume I am missing the start of the thread here... was the code snippet
supplied?

Anyway, welcome to DLL hell. I have recently worked through these sorts of
problems myself. 429, in my experience, means "wrong version" -- specifically
that the API found in the DLL and the API found in the registry are not the
same. Why they don't use more specific error messages I don't know, although
this has been a constant problem I've seen in all of Office.

Suggestion:

1) Uninstall Distiller completely.
2) use regedit to back up your registry
3) use regedit to find anything relating to distiller and deleting it -
examine the keys carefully, sometimes you'll find a reference inside a folder
with a long hex-ish key on it, and the entire folder should be deleted in
these cases.
4) open Excel and make sure it's gone from references
5) re-install distiller, and run it once so it registers
6) try again in excel

I have to carry out these steps every time I compile up a new version of my
VB code, hopefully you won't be having to do this too often.

Maury