Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Error 1004 Method 'Add'of Object Sheets failed

I have a an macro that always works. It an addin which
creates an summary sheet in the active workbook. I just
ran it on a file and recieved this message:

Error 1004 Method 'Add'of Object Sheets failed

the line of code it is failing on is this:

.Worksheets.Add(After:=.Worksheets
(.Worksheets.Count)).Name = AuditShtName

Why would this be failing? Could this be a workbook
protection issue? When I go to Tools\Protection\ is does
not give the unprotect option.

THanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"ExcelMonkey" wrote in message
I have a an macro that always works. It an addin which
creates an summary sheet in the active workbook. I just
ran it on a file and recieved this message:

Error 1004 Method 'Add'of Object Sheets failed

the line of code it is failing on is this:

.Worksheets.Add(After:=.Worksheets
(.Worksheets.Count)).Name = AuditShtName

Why would this be failing? Could this be a workbook
protection issue? When I go to Tools\Protection\ is does
not give the unprotect option.

THanks

Maybe the code tries to add a worksheet with a name that already exists.

/Fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No Bob it has a name - "Audit Results". This is odd as
this work on all other files. And there is not a sheet in
the file called "Audit Result".

If this workbook were protected or Read only - how would I
know?

What is in AuditShtName? Sure it is not empty or a

duplicate name?

--

HTH

RP

"ExcelMonkey" wrote

in message
Please also note that I can Insert Worksheets

manually. I
don't get it???

I have a an macro that always works. It an addin which
creates an summary sheet in the active workbook. I

just
ran it on a file and recieved this message:

Error 1004 Method 'Add'of Object Sheets failed

the line of code it is failing on is this:

.Worksheets.Add(After:=.Worksheets
(.Worksheets.Count)).Name = AuditShtName

Why would this be failing? Could this be a workbook
protection issue? When I go to Tools\Protection\ is

does
not give the unprotect option.

THanks
.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Activeworkbook.Readonly will tell you the first, but that doesn't stop you
adding sheets, just saving it.

You get the goodies don't you :-)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes I do get the goodies. But its making me a better
person :-)

Activeworkbook.Readonly will tell you the first, but that

doesn't stop you
adding sheets, just saving it.

You get the goodies don't you :-)

--

HTH

RP

"ExcelMonkey" wrote

in message
No Bob it has a name - "Audit Results". This is odd as
this work on all other files. And there is not a sheet

in
the file called "Audit Result".

If this workbook were protected or Read only - how

would I
know?

What is in AuditShtName? Sure it is not empty or a

duplicate name?

--

HTH

RP
(remove nothere from the email address if mailing

direct)

"ExcelMonkey"

wrote
in message
Please also note that I can Insert Worksheets

manually. I
don't get it???

I have a an macro that always works. It an addin

which
creates an summary sheet in the active workbook. I

just
ran it on a file and recieved this message:

Error 1004 Method 'Add'of Object Sheets failed

the line of code it is failing on is this:

.Worksheets.Add(After:=.Worksheets
(.Worksheets.Count)).Name = AuditShtName

Why would this be failing? Could this be a workbook
protection issue? When I go to Tools\Protection\ is

does
not give the unprotect option.

THanks
.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Workbook level protection (structure option) is what would prevent adding
sheets, but it would prevent you from doing it manually. If you did
Tools=Protection and it offered Unprotect Workbook, then you would know it
is protected.

If you are in Excel 97 or this file was used extensively in Excel 97, then
go into the project explorer in the VBE and see if you have code names for
your sheets like

Sheet11111111111111111111111111111

These type of names can be problematic if they are too long - around 31
characters as I recall.

Tom Ogilvy

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Next time you're in the VBE, you can select the worksheet (from the project
explorer) and hit F4 to see its properties.

Change the (Name) (with the parentheses) to something smaller in length.

sheet71 is not the problem.

Sheet11111111111111111111111111 is the problem. (31 characters is the maximum)

I'd fix any (Name) property that's over 7 characters long (sheet##).

ExcelMonkey wrote:

So Tom there are code names for the sheets in the Project
Window. These are the only ones that seem funny:
Sheet16111
Sheet1611111
Sheet16111111
Sheet3111

There are also sheets that go as high as:
Sheet71. Not sure if this matters.

Regardless, what can I do abou this to fix it?

Thanks for you help.

Dave Peterson