Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Opening Files from a folder in sorted order.

Hi All,

Please find the following bit of code in my program:

'-------------------------------------------------------------------------
varWorkbookName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Microsoft Excel
files (*.xls),*.xls", , "Please select the file(s) to process", ,
True)
If TypeName(varWorkbookName) = "Boolean" Then Exit Sub

For lngNoOfPayrolls = 1 To UBound(varWorkbookName)
strCurrentWorkbook = Dir(varWorkbookName(lngNoOfPayrolls))

Workbooks.Open varWorkbookName(lngNoOfPayrolls)
'-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The files in the folder are like:
Dec99 BOT
Nov99 BOT
Dec99 HKG
Nov99 HKG
..
..
so on for all the months and years from Jan99 till Mar05. The files
are in random order in this folder.

I basically want to open them in sorted order (Atleast sorted
according to the first 5 characters of the filename) , i.e.,
Apr99 BOT
Apr99 HKG
..
..
so on

I hope I have been clearer in explaining the situation. I would
appreciate if someone come back to me asap.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

From the command prompt:

dir c:\yourfolder /ON /b c:\myfile.lst

will write the names of all files in alphabetical order (case insensitiveie.
a and A before b and B etc).

You can then read c:\myfile.lst line by line and open each one in turn