Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default finding a value in a list

if you have a named list, say 'Names'
and that list is used as the source for a data validation cell,
is there a way to find what position the selected value is at in the list?

ie if Names contains:
Frank
Bob
Joe
Tim

and I have selected 'Joe' in my cell, how do i find that 'Joe' is index # 3
(if it starts from 1, or index #2 if it starts from 0)?