Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ActiveX Controls Look Funky,..?

All,
I am starting out learning vba/vbe, but I am having problems controlling the
ActiveX control objects. When I insert buttons and boxes from the forms
toolbar, they work fine (except they don't have the same capabilities as
ActiveX controls), when I insert ActiveX controls, I am getting wierd font
behavior. When the object is selected, the text in the object looks fine.
But when I select a worksheet cell or another object, the font goes wierd.
Each letter in the text appears to get wider, so they run into eachother and
look weird. As the users selects different buttons, the text changes every
time. The problem seems to be limited to only my laptop, my desktop works
ok. To show what this looks like I posted a screen dump here showing excel
running objects on both my laptop and my desktop:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res6ss6a/compareexcel/

Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it?
Thanks,
NB
Dallas TX

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

FWIW, I've found the Forms toolbar controls to be more reliable when used on
worksheets than the ActiveX controls on the Controls Toolbox. Although the behavior
you describe is unfamiliar to me, I have seen that sometimes ActiveX controls
display differently depending on whether you're in text edit mode on their captions.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

fishchoke wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tim is right, it is definitely the video drivers. I experimented with
different drivers for my machine. After reinstalling the original oem
drivers that came with the computer the problem went away, mostly. The text
still changes with focus is locked / unlocked, but the change is now so small
it's insignificant, I guess the program code that draws the font on the
screen when editing is different than the code when not editing? Thanks to
Tim and and all.