Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Formula for an Excel spreadsheet

Using Microsoft Excel, I am listing columns of figures, items in,
followed by items out, although not necessarily in that order.

I need a formula that will allow me to use another column as a running
balance, similar to the details shown in a bank statement, so that the
current balance is shown at every line.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming your table has the following structu

Col A......Col B......Col C......Col D
Item......Items In......Items Out......Balance

and, assuming that your first row is a header row like above,

and, assuming that the values for "Items In" and "Items Out" are both
positive, you would do the following:

1) In the first available row (row 2 after the headings), you'd insert your
starting balance only (no transactional data) in the appropriate column ("D"
in this example)
2) In the cell below that ("D3" in this example), you'd insert the following
formula:
=A2+B3-C3
3) Copy and paste that formula down throughout the remainder of your table.

If your "Items Out" column shows negative values, then change the first
formula to:
=A2+B3+C3

-Glenn Ray
MOS Master

"Lorraine" wrote:

Using Microsoft Excel, I am listing columns of figures, items in,
followed by items out, although not necessarily in that order.

I need a formula that will allow me to use another column as a running
balance, similar to the details shown in a bank statement, so that the
current balance is shown at every line.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ack...can't even get a simple formula right!

The formula in step 2 should read "=D2+B3-C3" and the alternate formula
should be "=D2+B3+C3" (NOT "A2").