Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Pemission to create a directory

Hi NG,
I have created an addin which is installed under the Program Files directory
(%ProgramFiles%\myCompany\myApp).
Every now and then the addin archives some files in the %Program
Fies%\myCompany\myApp\Arch\Year directory but it will need to create these
directories on the fly.
Obviously, I have no trouble but then I have administrator rights on my
machine. Will all users be able to create these directories on win2000 and
winXP machines or am I going to have trouble with some users not having
permission to make a directory.

Thanks,
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Fred

You will have tons of trouble, trust me on this :-) The places you can
assume that users can write, create and delete is in My Documents, in Temp
and a few other places under "Documents and settings". None of those paths
can be hardcoded, so you need to read them on startup. Randy Birch has good
code at
http://vbnet.mvps.org/index.html?code/browse/csidl.htm
for this.

HTH. Best wishes Harald