Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Downloading Excel spreadsheet to client

Hi,

We have data in a MS SQL database that our client wishes to access for
analysis purposes. They would like to view the data in an Excel spreadsheet
that they can download over the web. The spreadsheet contains two pages:
Page 1) Raw data, Page 2) Pivot Table based on raw data. The user should be
able to specify filter parameters for the data returned such as start date,
end date, facility code, etc. Our current environment includes MS IIS
running ColdFusion to dynamically create and serve pages over the web.

The big question is: Can we dynamically create the Excel spreadsheet, given
the required input parameters, on the server? And if so, what are the steps
to do this? Does any one have any helpful tips of how best to go about
solving this situation?

Thanks!!!

--
Kevin Epp
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kevin,

I don't know of a commercial tool that extracts SQL data into a fully
functioning Excel workbook.

If you're looking for how to do this, you can use Excel's automation
layer to accomplish it from a technical perspective.

If you're looking for software vendors that can help with tools, see
http://badblue.com/helpxls.htm for one such vendor.

Doug