Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Trace dependents

I have (sigh) inherited an EXCEL file that uses range names extensively, a
practice that, while valuable for some users doing sanity checks, is not
that valuable when you are trying to carefully check everything, at least as
I see it. I notice a number of curious things.

How do I get the equations to show the underlying cells rather than their
range names?

Does using range names have any effect on trace dependents and trace
precedents? For example, when I go to one cell and hit trace precedent, it
shows me a precedent. When I select that precedent and go there, then hit
trace dependents, it says there are none! I notice that the latter cell has
a range name. Would that cause this not to show up?

It seems that, for some range names, the same range name is used multiple
times, i.e., only once per worksheet, but on multiple sheets. Is it true
that EXCEL has no problems with the same name being used multiple times in a
file? If so, does the range of cells always need to be in the exact same
locations on each sheet? I wanted to have a map of all range names, but
when I do the commands: insert, name, paste, paste link, I'm not sure it
knows which of the identical range name cells to map to - perhaps it just
chooses the one on the nearest worksheet. Does anyone know?

Please answer ONLY what you know right away. I don't need every answer
right away.

Thank you very much,
Dean