Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default trace all dependents

I'm working with a workbook that I didn't create. I want to delete some of
the sheets. Is there a way to determine if there are any references TO
(i.e., dependents) any cell on the sheet I want to delete from the workbook?

I stumbled on the trick to use a circular reference to trace all precedents
in a sheet which is useful but not in this scenario.

I'm using Excel 03 with XP.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're just checking within that workbook, you may be able to search for
formulas that contain the sheet name (to be deleted) followed by an exclamation
point (and maybe surrounded by single quotes).

=if('sheet 999'!a1="","",'sheet 999'!a1)

In xl2002+, you can search the entire workbook, too.

But this won't help for finding these in Names or data|validation or ...

========
One technique I've used is to save the workbook as a new name (just to be safe).

Then move that sheet (don't delete it) to a new workbook. Save the new
workbook. Save the workbook (that's now missing the sheet).

Then close both workbooks.

Then open the workbook that's missing the sheet. If you have links back to that
workbook, then your real workbook has formulas/stuff that refer to that
worksheet.

========
And if you want a nice way, visit Jan Karel Pieterse's site:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/RefTreeAnalyser.asp

He has a demo version and a commercial version (that you can buy).

--

Dave Peterson