Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Use a string in a formula

Hi,

does someone know if it's possible and how it can be done to use a string in
formula like this

cell A1 contains Average
cell B1 contains =A1(C1:F1) which is the equivalent of =AVERAGE(C1:F1)

thanks
Jos Vens

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:59:40 +0100, "Jos Vens" wrote:

Hi,

does someone know if it's possible and how it can be done to use a string in
formula like this

cell A1 contains Average
cell B1 contains =A1(C1:F1) which is the equivalent of =AVERAGE(C1:F1)

thanks
Jos Vens

Download MOREFUNC.XLL from http://xcell05.free.fr/ and use the EVAL function.
It accepts strings so, in your instance, the function would read:

=EVAL(A1&"(C1:F1)")

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ron,

thanks, but I can't find the dutch translation of EVAL. How can I find it?

Jos

"Ron Rosenfeld" schreef in bericht
wrote:

Hi,

does someone know if it's possible and how it can be done to use a string
in
formula like this

cell A1 contains Average
cell B1 contains =A1(C1:F1) which is the equivalent of =AVERAGE(C1:F1)

thanks
Jos Vens

Download MOREFUNC.XLL from http://xcell05.free.fr/ and use the EVAL
function.
It accepts strings so, in your instance, the function would read:

=EVAL(A1&"(C1:F1)")

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This does the same

Function eval(str)
Application.Volatile
eval = Evaluate(str)
End Function

--

HTH

RP

wrote:

Hi,

does someone know if it's possible and how it can be done to use a

string
in
formula like this

cell A1 contains Average
cell B1 contains =A1(C1:F1) which is the equivalent of =AVERAGE(C1:F1)

thanks
Jos Vens

Download MOREFUNC.XLL from http://xcell05.free.fr/ and use the EVAL
function.
It accepts strings so, in your instance, the function would read:

=EVAL(A1&"(C1:F1)")

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:24:59 +0100, "Jos Vens" wrote:

Hi Ron,

thanks, but I can't find the dutch translation of EVAL. How can I find it?

Jos

I believe Longre's add-in is only available in French and English.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks a lot for your help. I thought EVAL was a build-in function of
Excel. Now I see it is user defined, so I guess it must be a
lot slower than Excel's build-in functions (I have 10x100 of those functions
in my sheets)

Jos

"Bob Phillips" schreef in bericht
This does the same

Function eval(str)
Application.Volatile
eval = Evaluate(str)
End Function

--

HTH

RP

wrote:

Hi,

does someone know if it's possible and how it can be done to use a

string
in
formula like this

cell A1 contains Average
cell B1 contains =A1(C1:F1) which is the equivalent of =AVERAGE(C1:F1)

thanks
Jos Vens

Download MOREFUNC.XLL from http://xcell05.free.fr/ and use the EVAL
function.
It accepts strings so, in your instance, the function would read:

=EVAL(A1&"(C1:F1)")

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jos,

EVAL still uses the built-in Evaluate function. You just have the "overhead"
of 1000 "wrappers". That will cost you a fraction of a second for which you
need almost the width of a screen to display. You will not be able to
notice.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten