Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RWN RWN is offline

Default Problem with CSV file

If your example is a direct copy/paste then your problem is that you have a space
preceding the fields subsequent to the 1st field on each record.

--
Regards;
Rob
"Wayne Wengert" wrote in message
I have a CSV file with the following contents (it is quote enclosed/comma
delimited)

===============================
"Dean", "McElroy", "28000 Terrace View Dr.", "Aliso Viejo", "CA", "92656"
"Ramiro", "Barrera", "1900 H Street", "Union City", "CA", "94587"
"Sue", "Smith", "123 Main St.", "Podunk", "CA", "94321"
===============================

When I open that using Excel 2003, the first field (first name) is fine but
all the remaining column contents include the quote marks? How do I get
Excel to remove the quotes?

Wayne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RWN RWN is offline

I meant the sample in your post (did you copy and paste from your file directly to the
post).
(Sorry for the confusion)

Your example has spaces embedded in each record.
"Ramiro",<sp"Barrera",<sp"...etc etc.
This will give you what you are seeing when you open the file.

--

"RWN" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rob;

That is exactly what was happening. I gather that the leading space causes
Excel to bring in the field as-is? I stripped out those spaces and all is
well.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne