Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Locking Sheet Tabs as Hidden

A small problem ...
I know how to set Sheet Tabs to be hidden in VBA but I can't see how I can
stop the user from going to the Tools-- Options menu and unhiding them
(which makes hiding them a bit pointless).
What am I missing?
Thanks in advance

Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ted wrote:
A small problem ...
I know how to set Sheet Tabs to be hidden in VBA but I can't see how I can
stop the user from going to the Tools-- Options menu and unhiding them
(which makes hiding them a bit pointless).
What am I missing?

Ted:

Set the Visible property to xlSheetVeryHidden. The only way to unhide it
will be through VBA.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

He says he knows how to set the Sheet Tabs to hidden - sounds like he wants
to see how to hide the sheets and prevent the user from unhiding them.
Hidding the tabs was one (unsuccessful attempt). If you reread it, do you
disagree?

Tom Ogilvy

"Dick Kusleika" wrote:

Ted wrote:
A small problem ...
I know how to set Sheet Tabs to be hidden in VBA but I can't see how I

can
stop the user from going to the Tools-- Options menu and unhiding

them
(which makes hiding them a bit pointless).
What am I missing?

Ted:

Set the Visible property to xlSheetVeryHidden. The only way to unhide

it
will be through VBA.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel
Excel Blog - Daily Dose of Excel
www.dicks-blog.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''
how I can
stop the user from going to the Tools-- Options menu and unhiding them
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''

The above is what leads me to think the OP is only concerned with the TABS,
rather than the visibility of the SHEETS themselves. Going to ToolsOptions
leads the user to the location for hiding/unhiding the TABS. While sheets
are hidden/unhidden thru the Format menu.

In order to prevent a user from unhiding the TABS (of visible sheets) the
developer could disable either the Option menu, the Tools menu or create a
new custom Menubar minus the Option menu.

"Dick Kusleika" wrote:

Ted wrote:
A small problem ...
I know how to set Sheet Tabs to be hidden in VBA but I can't see how I

can
stop the user from going to the Tools-- Options menu and unhiding

them
(which makes hiding them a bit pointless).
What am I missing?

Ted:

Set the Visible property to xlSheetVeryHidden. The only way to unhide

it
will be through VBA.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel
Excel Blog - Daily Dose of Excel
www.dicks-blog.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Perhaps you are correct. For the methods you suggest, I only see macros as
an option to perform these modifications. In which case, disabling macros
is less complicated then going to tools=options.

In any event, I don't see what is to be gained by hiding the tabs if the
sheets can be hidden.

Perhaps the OP should be advised that excel is not a very good platform for
security enforcement.

"Dick Kusleika" wrote:

Ted wrote:
A small problem ...
I know how to set Sheet Tabs to be hidden in VBA but I can't see

how I
can
stop the user from going to the Tools-- Options menu and unhiding

them
(which makes hiding them a bit pointless).
What am I missing?

Ted:

Set the Visible property to xlSheetVeryHidden. The only way to

unhide
it
will be through VBA.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel
Excel Blog - Daily Dose of Excel
www.dicks-blog.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure I understand how you would accomplish preventing the user from
unhiding TABS just by disabling macros. In fact, ToolsOptions is still
available with or without macros.

Personally I have developed apps where screen real estate was a premium
hence I hid the col/row headers and Tabs, while keeping sheets visible, but
accessible thru navigational buttons - ie all menu-driven. I didn't want the
user to go to ToolsOptions to unhide the Tabs so I created a custom menu
bars in some cases and disabled menu items in other cases.