Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default rename same entries

I have a column with names. The names have to be unambiguous .
So e.g. if Miller exists 3 times , I will rename to
Miller
Miller1
Miller2

thx for help

rainer

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assume the names are in column A starting in cell A2

in B2 (for example) put in a formula

=A2&IF(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A2)0,COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A2)," ")

then drag fill down the column

you can then select the column and do Edit=Column, then Edit=Paste Special
and select values to replace the formulas with the values they display. You
can then replace the existing data if you wish.

Tom Ogilvy

"Rainer Welzel" wrote in message
I have a column with names. The names have to be unambiguous .
So e.g. if Miller exists 3 times , I will rename to
Miller
Miller1
Miller2

thx for help

rainer

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'd use an extra column and use a formula like:

=A1&IF(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)=1,"",COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1 )-1)

(assuming your data is in A1:Axxx)

If you could live with
Miller1
Miller2
Miller3

as output, the formula would have less to do:
=A1&COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thanks for the answers, but I search for a macro solution,
so I mark the whole column an start the macro.

rainer