Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how to embed objects from other applications in 1 cell in excel sheet

hi all,
i want to embed objects from other applications by drag and drop in 1
cell in excel sheet, specially outlook express objects like mail,
drafts , contacts etc as embedded objects. these embedded objects
should be openable in the source application (if excel supports it).
Also the object should be represented as an icon.
This is possible in MS word but when try to drag and drop in excel
sheet , the outlook object doesnot go into 1 cell , it goes in to a
range of cells.

Thanx for help in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Objects are placed on a separate layer from cells. They are not placed into
cells. That's the way it is. If you could encode it as a text string of
less than 32K characters, you could possibly put it into a cell, but then it
would be a text string and not an embedded object.

You can possibly move it where you want it an size it to appear as you want.

Tom Ogilvy

"helpwithXL" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi all,
i want to embed objects from other applications by drag and drop in 1
cell in excel sheet, specially outlook express objects like mail,
drafts , contacts etc as embedded objects. these embedded objects
should be openable in the source application (if excel supports it).
Also the object should be represented as an icon.
This is possible in MS word but when try to drag and drop in excel
sheet , the outlook object doesnot go into 1 cell , it goes in to a
range of cells.

Thanx for help in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanx for the reply Tom,
My requirement is that I have to place(embed) the object (outlook draft
or mail) in a particular cell as the every cell belongs to a particular
person with particular date and I want to embed the outlook object for
this person for that date in that very cell and it'll be very helpful
if there's an icon in the cell instead of text (same as the icon you
get in MS word if u drag and drop an outlook object). And then I can
double click on that object to open the embeded object in outlook
itself !! Is that possible ?
A way that I thought, could be used to impliment this was to make the
cell, where i want to drop the object - a target cell. so after making
a target cell, if I drop something on the sheet after dragging the
object from outside of the sheet, the object should only drop in the
target cell and no where else. Is that possible in excel? I have
googled a lot but couldn't find anything.

Thanx again in advance
and my apologies for the long reply !!
regards,