Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Microsoft Query

We have been using MS Query for several years to bring information from a
Unix based database, via an ODBC connection.
We recently upgraded from Oracle 7 to Oracle 8i and though I can create new
queries without any problems, I cannot go back and edit the query for some
reason. I get a message 'waiting for data to be returned from MS Query' but
then it disappears and leaves me at the spreadsheet.
Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I can't speak directly to your problem with MS Query, but if you are familiar
with MS Access, I would use Access to pull the data from your Oracle tables
and create a local table within Access. You can then ODBC connect Excel to
the Access table you created.

"gsteck" wrote:

We have been using MS Query for several years to bring information from a
Unix based database, via an ODBC connection.
We recently upgraded from Oracle 7 to Oracle 8i and though I can create new
queries without any problems, I cannot go back and edit the query for some
reason. I get a message 'waiting for data to be returned from MS Query' but
then it disappears and leaves me at the spreadsheet.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

We use many Access Databases as well, but MS Query allows the end users to
refresh data quickly and easily without having to open a database. The data
gets put directly into a spreadsheet and can be manipulted from there. It
also prevents accidental changing or deleting data in the database.

"gsteck" wrote:

We have been using MS Query for several years to bring information from a
Unix based database, via an ODBC connection.
We recently upgraded from Oracle 7 to Oracle 8i and though I can create new
queries without any problems, I cannot go back and edit the query for some
reason. I get a message 'waiting for data to be returned from MS Query' but
then it disappears and leaves me at the spreadsheet.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi gsteck,

Do either of these help? At least the second link indicates you're not
alone and that Oracle is aware of the issue (and blames it on MS).

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...207e5aa80705a2

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e28e566b663026

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...=987340&page=3

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

"gsteck" wrote:

We have been using MS Query for several years to bring information
from a Unix based database, via an ODBC connection.
We recently upgraded from Oracle 7 to Oracle 8i and though I can
create new queries without any problems, I cannot go back and edit
the query for some reason. I get a message 'waiting for data to be
returned from MS Query' but then it disappears and leaves me at the
spreadsheet.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just posted the EXACT question. I have been on 8i for over a year and I
haven't had any issues what so ever. Of course I did have to add 'SQL net8
Version 8.1.7.0.0' Oracle. (provided by my POS vender)
So its not an 8i issue. I just started getting the error today!
Let me know if you find anything. I'll do the same

Gary