Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Assessing range values.

I have a selected range which consists of one column of various designated
two character codes .e.g. NW, UW,NR, NT and the like.

I need to be able to analyise the range and count the number of instances of
each code. The I then need to enter these values into another sheet in a row
under the various applicable column headings.

For eaxmple.

Source range looks like this:

UW
NW
NT
NW
NT
UT
NW

target looks like this

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Alan

i think the countif function will work for you

=COUNTIF(A1:A50,"UW")

with the original range in Sheet 1 and UW in sheet2 cell B1
=COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$50,B1)
- this can then be filled across the row

Cheers
JulieD

"Alan M" wrote in message
I have a selected range which consists of one column of various designated
two character codes .e.g. NW, UW,NR, NT and the like.

I need to be able to analyise the range and count the number of instances
of
each code. The I then need to enter these values into another sheet in a
row
under the various applicable column headings.

For eaxmple.

Source range looks like this:

UW
NW
NT
NW
NT
UT
NW

target looks like this

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Julie,

Thanksfor your help it is more complicated.

The target range is not fixed as I want the code to add a new row of values
each time time the procedure is run so I need to use VBA to analyse the range
and enter the results into the target range automatically.