Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help with datediff vba

Cells(Row,16) is a date formatted 02/13/04

Worksheets(4).Cells(10, 5) = DateDiff("d", Date, Cells(Row,16) Doesn't work.

I tried
dim billed as date
billed = cells(row,16)
datediff("d",date, billed)
but that doesn't work either.

I need the difference in days between two dates. One is cells(row, 16)
and the other is today's date. I imagine it has something to do with how
the dates are formatted but I can't find anything about it.

Thanks

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:25:16 -0600, John wrote:

Cells(Row,16) is a date formatted 02/13/04

Worksheets(4).Cells(10, 5) = DateDiff("d", Date, Cells(Row,16) Doesn't work.

I tried
dim billed as date
billed = cells(row,16)
datediff("d",date, billed)
but that doesn't work either.

I need the difference in days between two dates. One is cells(row, 16)
and the other is today's date. I imagine it has something to do with how
the dates are formatted but I can't find anything about it.

Thanks

John

You'll need to post more information.

What does "doesn't work" mean? Machine crashes? Excel crashes? Some error
message? Wrong answer?

The following works fine on my machine with some date in P1:

==============
Sub foo()
Dim billed As Date
Const row As Integer = 1
billed = Cells(row, 16)

Debug.Print (DateDiff("d", Date, billed))
End Sub
============

Of course, if all you are looking for is the difference in days, then the
simpler formula:

SomeVariable = Date - billed

would give the same answer.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

just subtract the earlier date from the later date. The integer part of the
answer is the days between. The decimal part is the portion of a 24 hour
day. Dates/Time are stored as the number of days from a base date (1900).
So if you subtract them from each other, you get the difference in days.

Tom Ogilvy

"John" wrote in message

Cells(Row,16) is a date formatted 02/13/04

Worksheets(4).Cells(10, 5) = DateDiff("d", Date, Cells(Row,16) Doesn't

work.

I tried
dim billed as date
billed = cells(row,16)
datediff("d",date, billed)
but that doesn't work either.

I need the difference in days between two dates. One is cells(row, 16)
and the other is today's date. I imagine it has something to do with how
the dates are formatted but I can't find anything about it.

Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

John

1) Have you assigned a value to the variable 'Row' in your code? (I'd stear
clear of using 'Row' as a variable name).

The following works for me:
Sub test()

YourColumn = 1
For Yourrow = 1 To 15
Worksheets(1).Cells(Yourrow, YourColumn + 1) = DateDiff("d", Date,
Cells(Yourrow, YourColumn))
Next
End Sub

HTH
Steve

"John" wrote in message

Cells(Row,16) is a date formatted 02/13/04

Worksheets(4).Cells(10, 5) = DateDiff("d", Date, Cells(Row,16) Doesn't
work.

I tried
dim billed as date
billed = cells(row,16)
datediff("d",date, billed)
but that doesn't work either.

I need the difference in days between two dates. One is cells(row, 16) and
the other is today's date. I imagine it has something to do with how the
dates are formatted but I can't find anything about it.

Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
just subtract the earlier date from the later date. The integer part of the
answer is the days between. The decimal part is the portion of a 24 hour
day. Dates/Time are stored as the number of days from a base date (1900).
So if you subtract them from each other, you get the difference in days.

Thanks, it wasn't working because I was referencing the wrong cell which
was a string not a date. :(

JOhn