Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Failure on MacroRun but not EditorStepInto

The following is code I am using to re-populate a spreadsheet with updated
data. I tested it extensively in the Editor and it runs fine, but when I try
to run the macro, it stops at the same exact spot every time and I don't know
why. Can someone please help me? The line (flagged below) is as follows:

Range("C1").Select '<<<PROGRAM STOPS AT THIS LINE

I must be missing something obvious about the statement that halts the
macro, but why doesn't it stop it from working when I'm manually stepping
through the program in the Visual Basic Editor?

Damian Carrillo

Sub TimekeeperUpdate()

' TimekeeperUpdate Macro
' Macro recorded 2/15/2005 by Damian Carrillo
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+T

Dim FileScan As Variant
Dim FilePresence As String
Set FileScan = Application.FileSearch

With FileScan
.LookIn = "F:\Importer\CMSDISB1\Disbursements\zAutomatio n Files"
.Filename = "Timekeepers.csv"
If .Execute 0 Then
'Prevent file from being overwritten if already exists
Let FilePresence = True
Else
Let FilePresence = False
'Duplicate Source Timekeeper file
Dim SourceFile, DestinationFile
SourceFile = "W:\ERS\SERVER\Manager\Validation\Timekeeprs.c sv"
'Define source file name.
DestinationFile = "F:\Importer\CMSDISB1\Disbursements\zAutomatio n
Files\Timekeepers.csv" 'Define target file name.
FileCopy SourceFile, DestinationFile 'Copy source to target.
End If
End With

'Clear Old Data from Timekeeper.xls
Windows("Timekeepers.xls").Activate
Range("D2").Select
Range(Selection, ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell)).Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.ClearContents

'Prepare new copy of Timekeeper.csv file for data transfer to
Timekeeper.xls
Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
"F:\Importer\CMSDISB1\Disbursements\zAutomatio n Files\Timekeepers.csv"
Windows("Timekeepers.csv").Activate
Range("C1").Select '<<<PROGRAM STOPS AT THIS LINE
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]&RC[-1]" 'Merge Data into a single
column
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("C1",
ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell)), Type:=xlFillDefault 'Expand formula
Range("C1", ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell)).Select
Selection.Copy

Windows("Timekeepers.xls").Activate 'Paste new data
Range("D2").Select
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("D2"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False,
Tab:=False, _
Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=True, OtherChar _
:="|", FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1),
Array(4, 1), Array(5, _
1), Array(6, 1), Array(7, 1), Array(8, 1), Array(9, 1), Array(10,
1), Array(11, 1)), _
TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

Range("A1", ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell)).Sort Key1:=Range("A2"),
Order1:=xlAscending, Header:= _
xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False,
Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
DataOption1:=xlSortTextAsNumbers 'Resort new dataset

On Error GoTo 0 'Stop subroutine if unable to save file
ActiveWorkbook.Save 'Save new dataset
Windows("Timekeepers.csv").Activate
ActiveWindow.Close SaveChanges:=True 'Close source document
Kill "F:\Importer\CMSDISB1\Disbursements\zAutomatio n
Files\Timekeepers.csv"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Whoops!

What I meant to write was, is there an error? Or does the IDE window pop up
higlighting the line of code in yellow? If the latter, try Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
clear all breakpoints; failing that copy all the code to a new module and
try to run it again (removing the old module)

If there is an error post the number and message recieved...

Hth

Oli

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oli,

No, no, and no. That's the part that has me totally stumped. All the
breakpoints are cleared. The IDE window does not pop-up whether its already
open or not. No lines are highlighted if its already open. No error message
appears. The code just jumps to the Timekeepers.csv and stops(?) executing.

Per your suggestion I deleted the original module and pasted the code into a
new one, but that did not help. I've tried adding Wait times into the code,
I've tried three different ways of selecting the desired cell and inserting
the formula, but it always stops at the point that the new document opens.

Could it be because its a CSV file instead of an Excel file? I don't
know...

Damian Carrillo