Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how do I use scopefolders in excel macro in windows xp

I have been trying to get directory and file information with an excel macro
using filesearch, the searchscope and search folders but access seems to be
restricted in windows xp. Any ideas? I need the macro to search a folder and
sub folders and return the path and file names. But I am having problems with
even running the examples in Help.
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

to the best of my knowledge, it is not restricted in Windows XP. The
examples run for me.

an alternative is to use Dir with recursive calls.

Tom Ogilvy

"mike_cutting-edge" wrote in
message ...
I have been trying to get directory and file information with an excel

macro
using filesearch, the searchscope and search folders but access seems to

be
restricted in windows xp. Any ideas? I need the macro to search a folder

and
sub folders and return the path and file names. But I am having problems

with
even running the examples in Help.
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

here are some other references:

These are polished and should be easy to understand.

How To Search Directories to Find or List Files

this is a link to that article for the third method
HOW TO: Recursively Search Directories by Using FileSystemObject

Some other DIR command approaches:

Recursive Code written by me - I was searching a directory structure for
workbooks with links and listing this structure on a worksheet - it creates
and indented list on a worksheet, so the structure is somewhat maintained.
It is pretty rough as there are a lot of debugging statements mostly
commented out. It uses a recursive approach to walk the directory structure
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?se...&output=gplain
(Obviously a first draft -- never polished.)

Bill Manville also wrote one and this has been posted by others many times:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?se...utput= gplain

Here is some nice code from Randy Birch to do a recursive filesearch with
the Windows API:
http://vbnet.mvps.org/index.html?cod...es_minimal.htm

Tom Ogilvy