Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reverse VLookup?

I have a WS that a info like the following:
Column A has Name of item.
Column B-E has numeric values pertaining to the item
Column F has formula that uses numeric values in B-E and give a total
At the bottom of Column F (say F20) is the Max of column F

My question is can you, with a formula or vlookup, in A20 put the name of
the item. I think I can figure out how to do this in VBA but was wondering
if there is a way to do it without it.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

in A20 (assuming column headers in the first row)

=OFFSET(A1,MATCH(F20,F2:F19,0),0)

will work assuming only one item has the maximum value in F. Gives
you the first item if 1 match

Tim.

"Tom Atkisson" wrote in message
I have a WS that a info like the following:
Column A has Name of item.
Column B-E has numeric values pertaining to the item
Column F has formula that uses numeric values in B-E and give a
total
At the bottom of Column F (say F20) is the Max of column F

My question is can you, with a formula or vlookup, in A20 put the
name of
the item. I think I can figure out how to do this in VBA but was
wondering
if there is a way to do it without it.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming