Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Implementing late binding for VBA

Hello,
I have a VB, Excel/Word VBA app running in Excel with automation. I have
developed it on my Win XP Pro, OFfice 2003 system, but need to make it
backward compatible to a Win 98 Office 97 platform. After researching it
seemed best to implement via late binding which I did by removing references
to Word which helped that issue. Then I had issues with losing references to
the VBA 5.3 Extensibility library and KB articles suggested using late
binding for that as well, so I removed that reference. Now my app (again
under Win 98 Office 97 VPC) bombs out unable to use String functions as Left,
Mid and Format which are under the VBA Object library. I tried removing the
VBA reference but it wouldn't allow me since it was in use. Since Office 97
uses the VB5 model, I'm assuming I need to do late binding for that as well.
Can anyone tell me if that is the case and how to implement it? Or if it is
another issue?
Thanks, God bless,
Van
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

VanS,

Hate to say it, but I think you have gotten in to a real mess by not taking
the advice that Tom and I gave you (sorry to keep dragging your name in Tom,
but it gives extra credence to my statements, I hope <g). I may be wrong,
but I don't think you would have had this problem if you developed on the
earlier version, and deployed to the later.

As to the specific question asked, I am not ware as to how you can late bind
Office. Excel is an Office application, and as such, even if Excel is
installed stand-alone, the office components are installed, included the
type library. The best I can suggest is that you go to ToolsReferences and
see if any items are marked as missing, if so correct them.

--

HTH

RP

"VanS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Van,

It should not be a question of late binding VBA. I've seen problems before
moving backwards a couple of versions - usually a compile error report - on
the Trim function. They had nothing to do with the function itself, but were
caused by a missing reference. Check Tools, References in the VBE on the 97
machine and look for something missing. That's probably the cause.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"VanS" wrote in message
[...]

Late Binding help, Please Bud Dean Excel Programming 5 September 24th 04 04:31 AM
Late Binding Todd Huttenstine[_3_] Excel Programming 3 April 30th 04 11:01 AM
Late Binding Cindy Excel Programming 11 April 23rd 04 03:34 PM
EARLY binding or LATE binding ? jason Excel Programming 6 February 26th 04 04:57 PM
DAO Late Binding? Sharqua Excel Programming 2 January 4th 04 02:05 AM