Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default When workbook is reopened, macros are disabled

I have just created a macro in an excel workbook. I recorded the macro, named
it, was able to edit it and run it. However, when I close the workbook and
then open it again, my macro has become disabled. I get an error message
which says:
The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help of
the host application to determine how to enable macros. I am concerned that
I caused a problem as I was trying to create an open event macro. I created
a macro that I called Workbook_Open. Would this be why I am having problems.
I started over with a new workbook, but I'm getting the same problems.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Marjie

this is because by default security settings in ver 2002 and 2003 are set to
high (or very high). so unless you change the security settings you can
create and test macros, but when you close and then reopen the workbook you
can't use them any more.

to change the security settings, choose tools / macros / security and set it
to medium. now upon opening a workbook with macros you will be prompted as
to whether or not you want to enable or disable them. If you know who the
book came from and you're happy for macros to run choose enable, otherwise
choose disable.

hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"Marjie" wrote in message
I have just created a macro in an excel workbook. I recorded the macro,
named
it, was able to edit it and run it. However, when I close the workbook
and
then open it again, my macro has become disabled. I get an error message
which says:
The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help
of
the host application to determine how to enable macros. I am concerned
that
I caused a problem as I was trying to create an open event macro. I
created
a macro that I called Workbook_Open. Would this be why I am having
problems.
I started over with a new workbook, but I'm getting the same problems.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Marjie,

It's probably your security settings are set to high.

Assuming XL2000, select tools - marco - security - medium
Cheers,
Craig Freeman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds like you security is set to High in Tools=Macro=Security
'
Set it to medium.

Generally you don't call a workbook_open event. You define the event in the
ThisWorkbook Module of the workbook and the action of opening the workbook
causes it to fire.

Chip Pearson's page on event.s

Tom Ogilvy