Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Searching for Archives

BlankHow can I access the archives of Public Excel programming posts from Outlook Express?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

BlankHi David,

Try downloading Ron de Bruin's GoogleSearch addin, freely available at:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

---
Regards,
Norman

"David Myle" wrote in message
How can I access the archives of Public Excel programming posts from
Outlook Express?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

BlankHi,

Edit- Find - Message

Thanks a lot,
Hari
India

"David Myle" wrote in message
How can I access the archives of Public Excel programming posts from
Outlook Express?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

BlankYou can only access those that you have downloaded and are still available, not very many.

Better to access Google groups, http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search, put *Excel* in the Newsgroup, and any other constraints such as subject, author, words.

--

HTH

RP

"David Myle" wrote in message ...
How can I access the archives of Public Excel programming posts from Outlook Express?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Norman,

Wanted to ask one thing.

Is it true that NewsMessages downloaded in to OE will be deleted by OE once
the corresponding messages are deleted from Microsoft server.(Did post to OE
newsgroup about this but ..) Because when Iam at home I cannot afford to
dial-up to net each time I have an Excel problem (when I work on office
sheets from home). Since, I use OE at work as well so I planned to write my
downloaded Excel news messages on to a CD and take them home and write it
in to my home PC.

I log on to net from home only when I have to actually post queries (using
OE). But if my home computer's OE is going to delete my old newsmessages
(old - means no longer on the server) then "Searching for Archives using OE"
will not be of much help. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot,
Hari
India

"David Myle" wrote in message
How can I access the archives of Public Excel programming posts from
Outlook Express?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hari,

Yes, with OE, downloaded messages are deleted as they are removed from the
MS server.

To look at older messages, you can search the Google Groups.

Ron's add-in provides an especially nice interface, with the added
advantage of increased functionality.

---
Regards,
Norman

"David Myle" wrote in message
How can I access the archives of Public Excel programming posts from
Outlook Express?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hari,

Addressing the dial-up cost issue, in OE it is possible to copy or export
downloaded messages to another directory. You could, perhaps, do this once a
month. A potential problem with this approach is that the ability
automatically to group messages by thread is lost.

I am sure that it would be feasible to set up a database application to hold
the downloaded messages and provide the additional features you require.
However, being spoilt by (relatively) good internet access and the Google
Groups online database, I have never felt tempted to pursue the disk
database approach. Of course, were internet access to become contentious,
either in terms of cost or availabilty, I would review my approach.

---

"David Myle" wrote in message
How can I access the archives of Public Excel programming posts from
Outlook Express?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Pretty much all of the issues about keeping messages are solved by using
Thunderbird as your news reader. With it you can easily download
messages to your local drive and keep them as long as you want or delete
what you don't want. FYI all messages in this group from Oct 13, 2004 to
today use 99,034KB. Not really that much. Using Thunderbird will not
help with messages already deleted from the server but just think of how
many messages you can save in the future.