Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Listbox1 to Listbox2?

Hi!

I am a complete newbie to VB and I am running MS Office 2000. (My VB
college class was in 1994 or something like that) I have been looking
for 3 days for complete code to do this, and I am having no luck. Even
went to the local bookstore and looked for a book... searched numberous
websites...

I started in Word and wondred if it would be easier in Excel?

I was creating Forms in Word. This excalated to someone needing a form
with a selectible list of well over 25 items. Hence I fell into the
world of VB again.

Does anyone know of any resources? I have been searching for 3
days...and I do not know enough to put pieces together of different
code.

Any assistance at all would be appreciated!

Moretakitty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If it's just one item from a list of 25 (or more), you may want to put it on a
worksheet and just use Data|validation.

Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions at:

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It would be no less then 3 items.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel has ListBoxes that you could add to a worksheet or to a userform.

they support multiple selections

Option Explicit
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim varr()
Dim FoundOne As Boolean
Dim iCount As Long
Dim i As Long

FoundOne = False
iCount = 0
For i = 0 To Me.ListBox1.ListCount - 1
If Me.ListBox1.Selected(i) Then
FoundOne = True
iCount = iCount + 1
ReDim Preserve varr(1 To iCount)
varr(iCount) = Me.ListBox1.List(i)
End If
Next i

If FoundOne = True Then
For i = LBound(varr) To UBound(varr)
MsgBox varr(i)
Next i

Moretakitty wrote:

It would be no less then 3 items.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

this should help you get started:

Enter you list of selectable items in, say A1:A25. Select your list.
In the Name Box (to the left of Formula Bar), type a name of your list, say
"MyList"
without the quotes.

Click on ViewToolbarsForms to bring up a toolbar of forms.
There will be an icon for Listboxes and one for Comboboxes. I prefer the
latter.
Click and drag on the combobox icon to anywhere on you worksheet. Drag a
corner to size it. Right click on it and select Format control

In the Input box, type: MyList
In the Cell link box type B2 ( or whatever cell you want)
click Enter

Click on the Arrow on your box an select an item. The item will be place in
the link cell: B2

You can also add a macro to do something whenever a selection is made.

Hope this helps

"Moretakitty" wrote:

Hi!

I am a complete newbie to VB and I am running MS Office 2000. (My VB
college class was in 1994 or something like that) I have been looking
for 3 days for complete code to do this, and I am having no luck. Even
went to the local bookstore and looked for a book... searched numberous
websites...

I started in Word and wondred if it would be easier in Excel?

I was creating Forms in Word. This excalated to someone needing a form
with a selectible list of well over 25 items. Hence I fell into the
world of VB again.

Does anyone know of any resources? I have been searching for 3
days...and I do not know enough to put pieces together of different
code.

Any assistance at all would be appreciated!

Moretakitty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave,

I had found listboxes, but I was having difficulty linking 2 together
and adding the data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks gocush,

I really should have been more specific at the time, I ran out of time
and the carpool was ready to go :)

The first box I was able to create successfully, the problem I had was
link 2 listboxes together so that when 1 selection is made, it would
populate to the second listbox.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok. this is a fairly common question. IF you Google for "Excel dependent
combo" you will find a couple different ways to do this. Here is one way:

http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Controls/30062.html

I use the INDIRECT method

"Moretakitty" wrote:

Thanks gocush,

I really should have been more specific at the time, I ran out of time
and the carpool was ready to go :)

The first box I was able to create successfully, the problem I had was
link 2 listboxes together so that when 1 selection is made, it would
populate to the second listbox.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well I'm not looking for a different item to appear in the second box,
it would be the same item. Like the user is choosing 3 or 4 tiems from
a list of 40.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ignore my last post, I could actually do it so that when one item is
chosen, the same item appears in the other box by the list... I
understand now, thank you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Seriously, based on that article? Seems like Dave Peterson's code is what
you need.

Tom Ogilvy

"Moretakitty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ignore my last post, I could actually do it so that when one item is
chosen, the same item appears in the other box by the list... I
understand now, thank you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just change
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Private Sub Listbox1_Click()

This assumes your listboxes are from the control toolbox toolbar.

But back to the question, you are saying out of a list of 40 items, you
could transfer 3 non-contiguous items from one listbox to another using the
approach in the link provided?

Tom Ogilvy

"Moretakitty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well guess as long as I get the end result, Dave Peterson's code may
work, but it doesn't tell me how to link the 2 listboxes so that
whatever is clicked in listbox 1 moves or is copied to linkbox 2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Did you put the listboxes on a worksheet?
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...2D8E%40msn.com

or on a userform?
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...BDD4%40msn.com

Moretakitty wrote:

Well guess as long as I get the end result, Dave Peterson's code may
work, but it doesn't tell me how to link the 2 listboxes so that
whatever is clicked in listbox 1 moves or is copied to linkbox 2.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I am saying is that I could basically say if I choose fred in
listbox1, I could then match it up with fred in listbox2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Niether so far, I am looking for the easiest way to create a form with
the options I need.